8.24.2006

Bruce Gary: April 7, 1951 - August 22, 2006


Bruce Gary passed away yesterday, of lymphoma, at the age of 55. I find it somewhat ironic that two weeks ago I did a homage to drummers for NRT and now here I am honoring yet another - but for a very sad reason.

Gary was best known for his role as the drummer for The Knack (for those of you who may need a refresher - click the 'ear candy' link). However, this man's credit list is over a mile long. To start with, his session work covers everything from rock to surf to Broadway. In addition, he performed, and recorded, with such greats as Bob Dylan, Jimmi Hendrix (for whom he also produced several successful posthumous albums), John Lee Hooker, George Harrison, Jack Bruce, and Robbie Kreiger (if you don't recognize these last two names - Bruce was the bass player for
this classic band, and Kreiger played guitar for this amazing group). And, sadly, even with all of that, I feel that Gary's talent was always somewhat under-appreciated. Regardless, Gary was an exceptionally talented drummer and musician. His presence in the industry will surely be missed.

And please forgive my tardiness with this post. Found a GIANT freaking wood spider in my living room (yes, my DC Metro Area living room) and we had a big 'ole battle. Needless to say my arsenal of carpet cleaning spray and my vacuum pronounced me the winner at the end, but the Buddhist community would not look kindly on my actions.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I need to post a new 'primate of the week'. I'm going to go with a small, yet powerful, creature that primatologist Dr. Dorothy Fragaszy calls 'Hercules with a Tail' (also the title of the very cool presentation she gave at last week's ASP meeting). Check out the 'primate of the week' link for this incedible little creature as well as more about Dr. Fragaszy's research.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Cappuchino monkies! Where's Bucky the cat when I need him.

Vemrion said...

thanks for the link to the cream video! that's a great find!