8.10.2006

NRT: With Added Flair!

Greetings! Yeah, I know, a whole week. Sorry 'bout that. Been just a little busy. The big news (the flair, if you will) is that my colonoscopy went off without a hitch and it seems that I will live. Yippee! Now, you may be asking yourself, why is she sharing? Well, it's because the word colonoscopy gives just about 99.9% of people who hear it the heebie-jeebies. Due to this, I am opting to get the word out that really it ain't so bad. Seriously, the worst part is what they kindly refer to as 'the prep'. That's the joy of cleaning out your system the day before so they can get a good look at all your plumbing - you have to fast all day, drink the cocktail around 6pm and then you get to set up camp near the 'head' for the evening (good time to catch up on some reading). Then, once you get to the procedure in the morning, it's cake. They give you an IV, fill it with happy drugs, and viola! In less than 90 minutes you wake up in a comfortable haze with a nice person asking what you'd like to drink. No pain, no discomfort (well, my lower tummy is a tad sore today, but nothing horrid) and you get to walk away on your own accord. And ladies, there's an extra added bonus - you get to leave on your bra! Some dignity is maintained!! So, if there's anyone out there who has been told that a colonoscopy is in their future - fear not.

OK then, on with NRT (New Release Thursday for those who may be behind). First, the new monkey of the week. I was having a bit of a time deciding until big news came out of the Philadelphia Zoo this week: A new Golden Lion Tamarin was born!! Click on the Primate of the Week link to catch the news feed from the Philadelphia CBS station - pictures and video galore. This is fantastic news as it is helping the zoo's primate preserve's quest towards conservation of several primate species. Way to go!!!

And now, on to the music!! This week, I'm going to do something just a little different. This morning as I was checking to see if Dwardisimo Rex rose from his vacation slumber, I read some new comments added to last week's NRT Annex. Seems that his buddy Poppersmoke feels that drummers aren't respected near enough. As I am a drummer myself, I am here to change his mind. Sure, most of us can't sing to save ourselves (hence, why Keith Moon needed to be 'removed' when the Who did ballads live), but we can beat the hell out of a pulled skin with a stick and we'll stop the show in the process. Think about it - who's the coolest group in the marching band? The DRUM line. When's the only time marching band is ever considered to be cool? DRUM and bugle core. What's every kid's first instrument albeit a spoon and pot? A DRUM. OK, I think you get the point. A unique bunch, we talk loud, party hard, and really could give a shit about what others think. Because of this, we tend to worship the ground our heroes walk upon. I will now proceed to discuss three of my favs and with each, you will find a link that will take you to that individual's page on Drummerworld where you'll get a bio, music clips, and be able to watch videos of some of their greatest performances.


First on my list is John Bonham of Led Zeppelin. I simply don't have words to describe my love for this man. Seriously, if I could remove the vocals and guitar from some of Zeppelin's tracks, I would, just to listen to Bonham go ape. Next time you listen to Whole Lotta Love, give that some thought. However, his greatest achievement is by far Moby Dick, where the solos would rage on for up to 30 minutes. Others have tried, but none can match Bonham's ability to drive along the toms and cymbals the way he can.



Next up is Carter Beauford from the Dave Matthews Band. I would first like to thank Arsenio Hall for saying that he didn't want Carter for his show's band. This enabled Carter to return to Virginia where he hooked up with Dave and friends. As for DMB, sure, Dave is one hell of a song writer and has quite the swooning voice, but without Carter behind him, as far as I'm concerned, the band wouldn't have the depth and power it does with Carter at the helm of the percussion. I classify Mr. Beauford as a 'super genius'. He's clever, creative, and somehow manages to be smooth, yet tight while sitting behind a 20+ piece kit. Also check out his work with Victor Wooten: it'll help you get your groove on.



To round out my three (and be grateful that I'm only doing three because I could go on forever), I give you Dave Grohl. Drool, pant, howl, etc... I worship this man, plain and simple. The younger folk out there may only know him as the founder and lead guitarist of the Foo Fighters, but this man is a bonafide drummer extraordinaire. From his early days with Nirvana up until the Queens of the Stone Age were wise enough to have him sit in on an album, Dave has beat the skins with a fierceness and passion like no other. Love you, LOVE you, LOVE YOU, Dave!!

And there you have it, an NRT dedicated to drummers!! I hope that you have found this both educational and enjoyable. Look for sequels in the future. Oh, I nearly forgot - the ear candy link is a sure treat. There is just something about a drum duel and no group does it live as well as Godsmack. Flair indeed!

2 comments:

Dwardisimo Rex said...

I'm glad to hear your colonoscopy went off with flying colors. Isn't it good to know you still have your health? And that prepping business? That sounds pretty nice, what with the 6pm cocktails, and happy drugs for breakfast. Shit, I do that now.

And, yes, I have awoken. In fact, there's an NRT annex posting below the fold.

As for the piece on drummers, I believe Poppersmoke was honored that you were inspired by his comment. Psmoke was, himself, a drummer some years ago.

And because everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I let it pass that you didn't mention Matt Cameron. But dear, oh dear, how could you not mention these two cats?

Vemrion said...

I'm also a drummer (amongst other instruments) -- the drummer is always the foundation of the band. Like it or not, everything must flow from the drummer's rhythm. It's sooo important for a band to have a good drummer.

That said, I have to kick in a few that weren't on your list:

Danny Carey from Tool. Prolly the best drummer out there today.

And Alex Van Halen is seriously underrated.

Slipknot's Joey Jordinson is a monster.

And let's not forget Nick Mason of Pink Floyd. Very cool, very laid back. A drummer like him can really set the 'tone' for the rest of the group.

Great post!