8.03.2006

A 'Keen' NRT

I won't be getting into this week too deeply simply because I've been ultra busy. Between work (where I'm still at - just taking a quick break) and the mini-flood I found in my bathroom last night (nothing is quite like finding that it's raining indoors), it's been a very interesting few days. Nonetheless, I wanted to get some new tunes posted for the week. And of course, there's a new monkey as well. Check out the Primate of the Week link for a fascinating new creature (with a very unusual name) brought to you by the Oregon Zoo. I highly recommend checking out the videos to watch the kids at play. It'll lower your bp - promise.

OK then, the tunes this week are from a band from across the pond - Keane. I discovered Keane while listening to internet radio a few months back, and was enthralled by the song Somewhere Only We Know, the first track off their first full length album Hopes and Dreams. It's all very good stuff. Lyrics and melody match beautifully with singer Tom Chaplin's marvelous set of pipes. I encourage you to check them out if you're not familiar. Also, to add to the fun, they released a new album in late June (Under the Iron Sea) and the first single is the very catchy Is It Any Wonder?. You'll find that neatly tucked into the ear candy link. But before you treat your ears to that, take a listen to this performance of Bend and Break (from their first album) from the Late Show. They're just as good, if not better, live as they are on recording.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Bummer about the flood. Along with the monkies I think Keane will lower your bp too.

Dwardisimo Rex said...

I don't really know much about Keane. That sounds like some nice stuff. If I ever get my fiscal feet under me, I'll pick it up. It's about time I broadened my horizons again.

Okay, so, about this flood. I hope it wasn't a big deal. I mean, hopefully there wasn't much damage to your property. Overflowed toilet, I presume. What a pain. That sort of thing always happens to me when I'm half awake, drunk or hung over. Somehow, the crapper just knows when it's not a good time. and those pesky crappers are just inherently spiteful. Come to think of it, who could blame them. Anyway, you rent, right. Apartment? Do you have a super that fixes that stuff?

I gotta tell ya, it's beginning to seem like you and I draw from the same luck pool. Stupid, inconvenient shit just seems to happen to me and, if I may be so bold, the same sorts of shit seems to happen to you too. Not huge, life changing stuff. Just irritating stuff that makes you put your hands on your hips and say "Oh, well damn." Am I right?

As far as my musical selection for the week, you probably hadn't picked up on Homme's latest venture because he's been going by the pseudonym Carlo Von Sexron. I apologize to you -- seeing as though you are the distinguished founder of the prestigious NRT empire -- for not posting a "new" release. You see, I figure it was new to you. So that makes it, well, kind of newish. Right?

A little something I'd like to share about me: I'm on vacation. Finally! I've been working like a dog non-stop for the past year -- this is a much needed break. I don't have to be back to work until the 14th. Not going anywhere, just sleeping in, reading and going to the pool. Sorry for the unsolicited personal info, I just had to tell someone. All of the people I would normally tell are at work. And if I told them, I would have to go to work and then it wouldn't be a vacation at all. Thusly, I wouldn't have anything to tell.