9.14.2006

Good Vibrations!

Yeah, I know. I didn't post last week. Sorry 'bout that - WAY too much going on. However, I have returned to bring to you the first in a two part series on what are considered by many to be most influential albums ever recorded. I have chosen to do this for two reasons. The first is that as I was flipping through my new Rolling Stone, I ran across a page announcing the 40th anniversary of the album I'm presenting this evening. And the second is that, growing up, I believed that the two greatest loves in my mother's life were not my sister and me, but rather The Beatles and The Beach Boys. With that, I give you...


Hailed as Brian Wilson's greatest masterpiece, and one of the greatest and most influential albums of all time, Pet Sounds was released in May of 1966 and has since sold over a gazillion copies (hell, I think my mom has two) and has been ranked in the top three of every 'greatest album ever made' list known to man. After The Beatles released Rubber Soul in 1965, Wilson challenged himself to put together an album that would have the flow and collectiveness he heard on Rubber Soul. And so, Pet Sounds was begun. When they were finished, The Beach Boys had a Pulitzer for your record player, telling the story of maturing into adulthood in the 60s from the eyes of Wilson. The album opens with the incredibly harmoniously layered Wouldn't It Be Nice and hooks you for the ride. You're taken on a tour of Wilson's heart, right brain, and melodic genius only to find the first side ending with Wilson's version of a traditional West Indies folk song: Sloop John B, which perfectly gears you up for side two. Flip that bad boy over, drop the needle on the edge and you're greeted with the lovingly sweet God Only Knows. You move through to the very telling I Just Wasn't Made For These Times and then, finally, your heart is broken, in less that three minutes, with Caroline No. And thus, ends Pet Sounds. What's so tragic about this is that soon after, Wilson began work on what was to be the greatest accomplishment of his musical career - Smile. However, sadly, due to intense 'creative differences' between band members, arguments with new Wilson collaborator and lyricist Van Dyke Parks, and Wilson's escalating drug use, Smile was shelved before its scheduled release in 1967. One good thing did come of it though, and you'll find that in this week's ear candy.

And so concludes my brief presentation of The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds. I hope that your ears enjoyed. Next week, I plan to cover The Beatles' answer to this album, which I have to say, I enjoy much more. Sorry, Brian! I'm just much deeper into your early, 'more childish' songs such as I Get Around, Help Me Rhonda, and Surfer Girl. I still dance and sing along when I hear them.

Finally, in honor of our beach loving friends, the primate of the week is a fine swimmer. Check it out - you'll learn something.

2 comments:

Dwardisimo Rex said...

Hey there. Everything is fine with me, I've just been hellabusy. On top of it being busy at the agency, my boss up and quit. That's thrown the whole place into a state of anarchy. By the time I get home and everything else, I haven't had the energy to write any thing. Not to worry, though, I still check in on several blogs -- especially yours -- to keep up with what everyone else has to say. Sorry I haven't commented lately.

It seems like you've been busy too. How are you? Keeping your health in check? Apartment holding together?

This is old news by now but did you happen to catch any of last weekend's US Open action. That was some fine tennismanshipery. Roddick is finely showing his potential. But that Federer, WOW! I don't know if you caught the final or not but at one point toward the end of the final set, Dick Enberg said something like, 'We may be witnessing one of the best men's tennis players in history.' At which point John Mcenroe said, "No, he IS the best." Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

So unfair - I thought you were posting about vibrators.