9.21.2006

You Say You Want A Revolution?

Hello, and welcome, once again, to NRT - the place where you get the joys of reading my raves (and possible occasional rants) on the music industry. As promised, today I'm going to explore The Beatles' answer to Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys most hailed album ever. But first, a little history...
When Pet Sounds was released in 1967, it was Brian Wilson's answer to another fabulous Beatles album (and one of my favs from them): Rubber Soul, which brought us such great tunes as I'm Looking Through You and Drive My Car (both found only on the British version); as well as In My Life. But I digress... After Lennon sat down with Sounds, he decided that the Beatles needed a quintessential masterpiece of their own. Given that the entire gang was growing tired of touring, and 'Beatle Mania' was starting to decline due to Lennon's infamous 'Bigger than Jesus' comment, the boys set out to make a psychedelic album that could never be out-done. In less than six months time, they did just that. Presenting...


Often regarded as the most influential rock album of all time, and always finishing in the top two of any 'best of forever' list, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was released June 1, 1967, and a day later in the US. It went on to top the music charts of both nations, snagged four grammys, (including album of the year), and has sold over 12 million copies in the last 40 years. Sgt. Pepper's was the first of its kind. It defined the optimism of psychedelia and spread all kinds of goodness from acid to Eastern spirituality throughout the globe. Very few albums since Sgt. Pepper's have had such a wide-sweeping, immediate impact on society and I will not argue that this album is a great work of genius. The 'Fab Four' hook you as soon as you hear 'It was twenty years ago today, Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play...' and you're more than willing to buy a ticket for the Magical Ride that will only last the brief 40 minutes (these guys perfected the 2 1/2 minute hit) the album takes to complete. As I feel that it's somewhat inappropriate for me to deeply analyze this record, I have instead (with lots of help from the YouTube community) decided to allow you to judge this one for yourself. Below, you'll find Sgt. Pepper's from top to bottom, with the exception of the Sgt. Pepper's (reprise) found on side two. Enjoy...

Side One:
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
With a Little Help From My Friends
Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds
Getting Better (Beware - the video is kind cheesy; but the song is there)
Fixing a Hole
She's Leaving Home
Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite (with a touch of It's Not Too Bad at the start)

Side Two:
Within You Without You (Harrison's masterpiece)
When I'm Sixty-Four
Lovely Rita
Good Morning Good Morning
(sorry; no video - it was just too annoying!)
A Day in the Life

OK then, now that you've had some time to digest, I would like to offer up something more. Everyone consistently talks about how Sgt. Pepper's is the Beatles' best album. Although I will never argue that it's fantastic, I will say that they out-did themselves prior to Sgt. Pepper's release. Somewhere between Rubber Soul and Sgt. Pepper's, while the mania over Pet Sounds was screaming loudly throughout the land, the Beatles released what I consider to be their greatest work. Plain and simple, I LOVE this album:

Recorded at Abbey Road, Revolver was released on August 5, 1966. I have nothing to say other than each and every track is a pure work of genius and imagination. Here, again with the help of YouTube, is the complete album - all 13 glorious tracks. When you're through, ask yourself...

'All the lonely people; where do they all belong?'

Side One:
Taxman
Eleanor Rigby (possibly the best ever utilization of a sting quartet in a rock song)
I'm Only Sleeping
Here There and Everywhere
Yellow Submarine
She Said She Said (this video has "Butcher Cover" footage!)

Side Two:
Good Day Sunshine (Live)
And Your Bird Can Sing
For No One (Paul - solo)
Dr. Robert (With footage from the show House)
I Want to Tell You (From Concert for George)
Got to Get You Into My Life (Paul with Wings - live)
Tomorrow Never Knows

And that, ladies and gents, concludes my run on the Beatles. I hope that you have enjoyed. However, if you didn't get enough, the ear candy link this week is what I consider to be a gem. Here's your hint - it evolved from It's Not Too Bad, and was released as its own single, a double A-side, with Penny Lane.

And finally, in honor of the band, the primate of the week is one that enjoys beetles above all other insects.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I realize that I'm slow and late, but over the last two years I've started listening to the Beatles and to Billy Joel. I'll save Billy Joel for some other conversation, but Beatles are hysterically fun. I mean, come on, an Octopuses garden? I LOVE IT!!!!