10.21.2007

The Latest Chapter...



As the soap opera that is the New York Yankees continues to spin along its merry-go-round, enter Don Mattingly - Donnie Baseball; Number 23; Mr. Eight Time Gold Glove Winner; Mr. .407 Career Slugging Percentage; whatever you would like to call him... will head to Tampa this coming week to meet with the Steinbrenner, Inc. regarding the open manager's position.

I know I should be excited; but, instead, I'm somewhat torn about this. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the man (sat along the first base line many a time during the late eighties and early nineties just to watch him in action); and believe that he will make an excellent manager. But, I'm not sure that this is the 'right' time to do it. I always knew that he would be a Yankee forever and would ultimately rise to the position of skipper; and was totally delighted when he moved from hitting coach to bench coach this last season. However, I'm fearing that the front office is looking to perhaps take advantage of the vulnerability of the team and may look to hire Don under some sort of 'situational contract' that could ultimately cause all kinds of turmoil. What will Steinbrenner do if he hires Don and the 2008 team fails to make it to the Series, or even to the playoffs? Could Don sadly turn into the next Billy Martin? OK, not that bad, but you know what I'm trying to say. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this pans out...

So, as the interviewees (former catcher Joe Girardi and current first base coach Tony Pena are also scheduled) descend upon Tampa, I will hope that Steinbrenner, Inc. pulls their collective head out of it's ass and does this in a decent and professional manner. After all, we ALL only want what's best for the Bombers.

Ah yes, some final words before I get back to work...



GO TRIBE!!!!


No comments: