10.19.2007

Oh Joe, Say It Ain't So...


This is yet another one of those times that proves that all good things must come to an end. Yes, boys and girls, the news is true... After 12 years as skipper of the Bronx Bombers, Joe Torre is leaving. And as sad as I am, I really cannot blame him. What Steinbrenner, Inc. did to this man was not only incorrigible, but down right insulting. Seriously, who looks to give a manager who lead a team to 12 straight post season births a one year deal with incentives for going to the postseason along with a clause that says that the position will only be tenured if the team makes it to the Series? Talk about sad. Sad for the whole Yankee family - except for those who planned this perfectly; and who were no doubt clanking their champagne glasses together after Torre's news conference earlier today.

Oh yes, George, Hal, Hank, this means you. For 10 days you sat around and tried to figure out a way to get this to work in your favor without actually having to fire the man. Well, you may have gotten your way, but you're all still looking like the southern end of the north bound horse thanks to this little stunt.

Joe, I'll miss you - deeply. I will also miss those players who will no doubt now take leave of the team as you will no longer be there to guide them. However, please know that I do not, and will not, think any less of any of you; but rather, will continue to hold the memories that you have given me over the last decade. My twenties were, thanks to you and your players, the best of my 'baseball years'; but I know that there will be more to come.


Best wishes to you Joe. You will certainly be missed...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.