7.06.2006

New Release Thursday!

Greetings! That's right - it's Thursday, and I have chosen to make this day of the week my 'new release' day for the ear candy pick as well as Primate of the week. Why Thursdays? Well...

1. I abhor Mondays.
2. New record albums are released on Tuesdays.
3. New comic books are released on Wednesdays.
4. New movies are released, usually, on Fridays.
5. Weekends tend to be hit and miss.
6. Why the hell not?

So, without further ado, this week's album is... Ring of Fire: The Legend of Johnny Cash. Told you my taste was eclectic, didn't I? I LOVE this album because it runs the entire career of Cash from Big River to his version of U2's One. If you do nothing else, download his haunting cover of NIN's Hurt. The 'Man In Black' made the recording shortly after his wife, June Carter Cash, died in May of 2003. I promise, Cash's pain will tear you up even deeper than Trent's did.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, to catch up on a few things. The first being that I LOVE New Yorkers. Not because mom is a native Manhattener, or because I grew up in Jersey not too far away, but because they have the balls to publish headlines like this:


God bless the Post! And not just for Page Six either. My sis and I had a conversation about this particular headline and have decided that they're going to have to lay the SOB in state just so we can all make sure that he gave up the ghost rather than go to hide in the 'bunker'.

In other news, VIVA LA FRANCE! Although the German's lost their match (talk about heartbreaking - 119th minute?!?), France prevailed over Portugal thanks to a PK in the first half. But can they outrun Italy on Sunday? Only time will tell. My pick? As I would like to see Henry go out on top - France 1 Italy 0, with one overtime.

Speaking of the French - they are in their glory in the sports world right now - wow! Not only do they have the World Cup in their grasp, but the cyclists are touring the country side (Viva La Tour!) and their tennis mavin, Amelie Mauresmo, is headed to Saturday's ladies' Wimbeldon final. However, I'm more looking forward to the Wimbeldon gentlemen's final. Can Swiss sweetheart, Roger Federer, fourpeat? He's going to have to get through the semis and the Swede first. And once all this craziness is over, I can finally get back to that good ole' American pastime, baseball. That is until NFL preseason starts!!!

4 comments:

Christine said...

I get weepy everytime I hear Johnny Cash sing Hurt. His soul bleeds all over that song, more so than sweet Trent ever could.

As for that Lay dude, I do wonder if he's sitting on a beach somewhere complaining about the salt on his margerita glass.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to have taoist_pagan (the husband of mine who you said such nice things about just a few months ago!) start checking your blog if you're putting music recommendations. He really liked your taste :-)

Dwardisimo Rex said...

Greeting back to you. It was a pleasant surprise to have a comment from you. As you say, It’s always nice to meet another liberal-minded, anti-Bush, pro-sport, South Park fan.

Bravo to your recognition of Johnny Cash. About six years ago, I too discovered that I really like Johnny Cash’s music. I have to say, though, I’m not a big fan of his newer stuff, It’s good but I mostly like songs like Big River, Ring of Fire, Folsom Prison Blue, etc.

You know, I also like New York and people from New York. My best friend was born there. I contemplated moving there at one point but cowardly decided it was in the cards. I don’t get much exposure to the Post but I get most of my non-NPR news from the Times. My local paper aspires to be about as sophisticated as USA Today.

I’m feeling a little sad that the World Cup is drawing to a close. I can’t believe it’s been a month already. Although I agree, it would be nice to see France rise to the occasion, I’m disappointed that England, Basil, and the U.S. got sent home early. It’s been a good season for sports all around. The NBA playoffs were more exciting than they have been in years. The NHL playoffs were also quite eventful. The World Cup. Tour de France. And tennis — holy crap. I love men’s tennis. Ever since I was able to attend the NASDAQ-100 Open in Miami three years ago, I’ve fallen in love with the sport. And at a good time too, don’t you think? We are about to witness would could be the greatest rivalry in ATP history. As I type this Nadal is polishing off Baghdatis to put himself across the net from Federer again. Those two guys are incredible.

All that and soon we’ll get to witness, first hand, World War III. How fun is that?

Dwardisimo Rex said...

Typos? Yeah. Greetings. Brasil. What the fart?